Best Cures For Sciatica Pain
What is Sciatica?
The human body is made up of a complex network of skeletal bones, muscles, blood vessels and nerves among others. Nerves serve the most intrinsic task of carrying the signals from and to the brain so that the senses are maintained and all the neurotransmission are done effectively. If any of these sophisticated nerves malfunction then it can affect the body processes severely. Sciatic nerve is the longest nerve of the human body and it runs down to both the legs through the calf portion. It is often due to various reasons that this nerve gets disturbed or damaged partially causing them to generate pain in the lower back that shoots down to one or both the legs. The pain symptoms could get really worse, even inviting the locomotor problems if the initial symptoms are neglected for a greater time.
It is also seen that in some cases the sciatica symptoms is self relieved after milder exercises such as walking. However, if the pain symptoms persist for longer period & are showing an uptrend then the person should seek other cures for sciatica by reaching out to a registered medical practitioner. Here are some cures of sciatica that are offered in accordance to the existing symptoms.
Physiotherapy offers the relief by allowing the flexibility and good health of the sciatic nerve which sometimes gets de-structured due to a tedious , back breaking lifestyle and lack of physical activity in their schedule. Physiotherapists try and diagnose the inconsistencies and then prescribe appropriate light exercises that are aimed at generating the required functionality for the affected nerve. The person gradually feels the relief in the pain persistence. This is one of the best approaches for early stage of sciatica.
- Compression packs
This is basically a pain relief option wherein a person secures a reduction in pain in the affected regions by placing a hot or cold compression packs. These packs can be made even in home, especially the cold ones by the solid frozen stuff like the ice cubes or vegetables. The hot packs are available as the rubber bags in the market that are filled with hot water.
- Painkillers NSAIDSs
Taking painkiller is one of the more costly but fundamental cures for sciatica.There is a diversity of painkillers available on the market that are currently in practice to treat sciatica. These are :
- NSAIDs – the non steroidal anti inflammatory drubs like the ibuprofen. These relieve the pain symptoms and allow the nerve to settle for the normal functioning over time.
- TCAs – the tri cyclic anti depressants like the amitriptyline. This drug that was originally developed for the depression conditions and later it was also found useful to relieve the nerve pain.
- Anticonvulsants – drug gabapentin was developed to treat epilepsy and then was found useful for the treatment of sciatica symptoms.
- Opiods medications – drugs like codeine or morphine in severe pain cases are also offered
- Spinal injections – Spinal injections are used to deliver immediate pain relief in severe cases of sciatica when the pain overshoots beyond endurance.
- Surgery – in conditions of herniated or slipped disc which is found contributing to the sciatica distortions, surgery is practices to correct the deviations.
These are some of the best cures for sciatica, in the end everyone is different and each method will have varying effects on the individual.